There’s no doubt designing and executing an effective shopping cart abandonment email campaign works. In fact, more than 10% of cart abandonment emails opened, are clicked Tweet This!. And the average order value of purchases through cart abandonment emails is 15% higher than usual purchases. You cannot measure much more intent than a visitor to your site adding an item to your shopping cart!
As marketers, there’s nothing more heart aching than first seeing a big inflow of visitors on your ecommerce website – spending notable time, adding something in their cart and then abandoning it before undergoing the selling process. So, what does that mean? Do they cut off from your brand forever? Perhaps not! All you need to do is make the extra effort to woo them back and let them know that they are important.
This infographic from Email Monks details the behaviors of e-commerce buyers, the psychology behind shopping cart abandonment and win-back campaigns, as well as spells out the 7 steps in designing an effective shopping cart abandonment email campaign.
- Time and Frequency Matters – Within 60 minutes of abandoning, you should be sending your first email. A second email should be sent within 24 hours. And a third email should be sent within three to 5 days. Sending up to three abandonment emails results in an average $8.21 return on investment.
- Consider Free Shipping – Tempt your abandoned shoppers with an offer, either a discount or free shipping. Research shows that free shipping can be twice as effective as a percent off.
- Tempt them with an Irresistible Offer – Studies have shown that an abandonment email that contains a discount offer of 5%-10% on the first purchase can help your abandonment rate.
- Display Product Images – Eye tracking device reveal that including picture of the abandoned product instead of just the product link in the cart abandonment email fetches more attention than that without.
- Cross-Selling Isn’t Bad – Cross selling the products to abandoners can also turn into an ultimate blessing for your business. Display relevant alternatives and best-sellers.
- Customize Abandonment Emails – Utilize your visitor’s browsing history and past purchases to tailor a personalized offer.
- Resolve Queries – Cart abandonment emails can help resolve the queries of abandoners – providing them ample information and helping them make the buying decision. Give your buyers sufficient options so as to help them reach you and get their queries resolved.
Couple your shopping cart abandonment email campaigns with re-targeting advertising and multi-channel strategies to increase their effectiveness for winning back shoppers.
© 2015 DK New Media.